Contact your local Clerk Of Court to make sure of what you need
Appling for you Marriage License
Marriage Licenses may be purchased at the Clerk of court office. Louisiana Marriage Licenses can only be used in the state of Louisiana. The license must be purchased at least three days (24 hours) before the ceremony. The ceremony has to be held within thirty days of issuance.
Things Needed for a Marriage License:
* Certified Birth Certificate (with seal) for both parties. (Birth Cards are acceptable if parties were born in LA only; If parties born outside LA, full form needed.)
* Photo ID.
* Social Security # for both parties. (Don’t need cards, just numbers.)
* $35.00 cash (approx.)
* Date of Divorce or Death from previous marriage (Don’t need papers, just date)
* If under the age of 18, both parents must sign unless one parent has full custody (Need certified copy of custody papers)
* If under the age of 16, both parents must sign and a judge’s approval.
* Both Parties must be present at time of application unless the unavailable party: is in the U.S. Military (copy of Military ID is needed); or provides a notarized application.
The marriage license is good for 30 days. There is a 24 hour waiting period before using the license. If you can’t wait the 24 hours, you can get a waiver from the judge.
Documents Required When Parties are Born Outside of the U.S.
* Certified Copy of party's birth certificate and a valid and unexpired passport or Certified Copy of party's birth certificate and unexpired visa accompanied by Form 1-94 as issued by the U.S.
* Order waiving birth certificate with letter from proper registration authority that a thorough search was made and no birth record was located.
* Certified translation of birth certificate if certificate is in a language other than English (must include sworn declaration of translator).